QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Chicken Wings and Boobie Tassels

Friday, April 11, 2008
Guess What? No Sulking Today!
Happy Friday blog readers!

I love Fridays. I do. They're, like, the best. The boss is out today (but in right now) for moving day and my work is slowly getting caught up.

I got an interesting proposal this week. No, I'm already married so it's not that. I got an email from a company that has a three week project exporting their data from Notes into a new software package they are using. I told them I wasn't willing to give up my day job for a three week assignment, but if it's something I can do from home in the evenings and weekends I would be interested.

To my surprise, they agreed! The nice part is I only have to get their data out into a file somebody else can import. Which should be pretty easy. We agreed on $30 an hour for this little side project, however I know it won't take three weeks. Maybe a week, tops, so it's not like all my problems are solved. But it sure will help!

I'm going tomorrow to meet with the principle in the project to discuss exactly what this will entail. I know I can sell this. It's what I've been trained to do for thirteen years! They are a small company and can't afford to hire a consulting firm to do it for them. I can understand that. They charge outrageous fees then jack the amount of time it'll take to complete to pad their paycheck at the end. It would cost them thousands to have them do it, where I would be willing to do it for, say, around $800 dollars. I did explain to them that from what it sounds like with the sample data they provided me that I could run into unforeseen problems that might make it take a little longer and they are fine with that. But, I'm going to do an honest job and only charge them for how long it actually does take me to do it. And keep track of my hours as I work. I figure being honest about it and charging them only what we agreed to will make a pretty nice little reference, don't you think?

I also have an interview this evening with a consulting firm, after work. I'm not really sure I want the job unless they pay me what I'm willing to work for. It's a contract to hire position, but would mean I would have to, once again, drive my ass to and from work. And while I'm in a contract there are no benefits. I have to give him the figure of the minimum I'm willing to work an hour today. I'm telling them $48 bucks an hour. At that rate, I can afford to be inconvenienced.

Hope everybody has a great weekend!
posted by suebiedoobie @ 8:01 AM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Six Foot Model - Too Young

This is my Brain on the Web...Where are the Damned Comments People?
About Me

Name: suebiedoobie
Home: Illinois, United States
About Me: I'm married with dog. Kids freak me out.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox


It's ALMOST SPRING!!!

Links
Slideshow Time!

Free Blogger Templates