QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Chicken Wings and Boobie Tassels

Thursday, February 14, 2008
Happy Valentines Day!
Wow, is that a bullshit "holiday" or what. Who invented Valentines Day anyway?

How did this silly ritual of exchanging cards, candy, and flowers come to pass? Does anybody really know? Or did Hallmark invent this to get over the lull of sales in the post holiday season?

I read someplace that it contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men - his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

Other stories suggest that Valentine may have been killed for attempting to help Christians escape harsh Roman prisons where they were often beaten and tortured.

According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl - who may have been his jailor's daughter and who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' which we all know from those cheesy little cards in grade school is a phrase that is written in all of them.

I guess the bottom line is that according to the Greeting Card Association, an estimated one billion valentine cards are sent each year, making Valentine's Day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year. A measly 2.6 billion cards are sent for Christmas in comparison.

And approximately 85 percent of all valentines are purchased by women. Which means that 15 percent of the men out there are total dicks that don't buy their sweethearts a valentine.

Dennis is off the hook this year. Because I'm not one of those 85 percent of women who go out and buy a valentine. It doesn't have so much to do with the fact that I'm a heartless bitch and I don't care about my husband's feelings - it has more to do with the fact that I haven't been out anywhere without him to buy him a valentine. So, I told him this morning to not get me anything because I won't be getting him anything. And he agreed.

So, why do I still feel that if there isn't at least a valentine's day card waiting for me when I get home somebody will be sleeping in the doghouse tonight? So not fair. No, I would rather we just have a nice dinner together made at home - he doesn't even need to take me out rather than he to go out and spend $4 bucks on a folded piece of cardboard that will be glanced over for about 2 minutes then immediately thrown in a box with all the rest of the Christmas, Birthday, and Valentine's day cards from every other year.
posted by suebiedoobie @ 7:42 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yep, I am one of those that will be alone tonight. I am not a needy woman, but it sucks to hear of everyone else's plans. I know I will be at home with my dog. Maybe he's better than a man anyway....

    Virginia

     
  • At Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:06:00 AM, Blogger suebiedoobie said…

    *haha* yea, dogs usually are!

    I'm sorry you'll be spending it alone. We're not doing anything special - if that helps!

     
  • At Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't feel bad Virginia. My DH is working tonight and we won't be doing anything either. I really don't see why people make such a big deal out of V-day anyway. It was a lot more fun when I was a kid and we had V-day parties in class and handed out valentines and candy. I'd rather make a bigger deal out of Christmas, birthdays, and our anniversary.

     
  • At Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh well, maybe one day I will have someone to spend it with, but things are not looking too promising right now. I guess it may snow in hell too, who knows?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Six Foot Model - Too Young

This is my Brain on the Web...Where are the Damned Comments People?
About Me

Name: suebiedoobie
Home: Illinois, United States
About Me: I'm married with dog. Kids freak me out.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox


It's ALMOST SPRING!!!

Links
Slideshow Time!

Free Blogger Templates