QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Chicken Wings and Boobie Tassels

Friday, July 28, 2006
What's the Mission of the Preacher Man?
....
My husband is having a problem. Of course, some people will tell you to pray to God to help you in your troubling times. And, that's a great suggestion, but what if you problem actually IS God?

First of all, I would like to say that both me and my husband were brought up Catholic. His family is a practicing Catholic family, mine was not. He goes to church with his mother almost every Sunday, bar the Sunday's his mother is working. I consider myself spiritual, but not necessarily religious. I believe that your relationship with God is your relationship with God and that's all there is to it. It's not for any human to decide for you that your relationship with God is not up to their standards.

The person that my husband is having a problem with is a very good person. He's what I would consider to be a "born again" Christian. And I think that's fantastic, because it works for him. He has his church, he has his own deal with God. And bless him for that. But, my question (and I really don't want to offend any other "born again's") is this - what gives you the right to assume that your relationship with God and your church is better than anybody else's? What give you the right to assume that your status in line at the pearly gates is any better? It's such an arrogant attitude. And, I really believe that if God is going to look down on stuff, arrogance would probably be at least in the top 20.
...
My husband was asked by this person last night where he stands with God. He also asked him if he takes Jesus Christ as his personal savior. And, he went on to say he's concerned about him that he won't get into heaven. While it's nice that somebody cares about where you're going to be in the afterlife, shouldn't that be something that you should worry about with yourself, and your family, and not pound it into somebody else? This is not the first time this has come up. And, no doubt, won't be the last. We can't help but wonder what the mission is here - what is his goal? For my husband to join his cult? For my husband to get fed up and terminate their relationship? What? I tend to believe that maybe my husband finds his faith in being with his family and the location of the church is secondary, instead of trying to figure out how to get away from them to ride in a big red bus.


broken body
its joints at war
religious vipers sucking royal blood
the price is paid
the final score
the truth exists even through pious mud
who are these people behind the stained glass windows
have they forgotten just what they came here for
was it salvation or "scared of hell"
or an assembly of a social get-together
what's the mission of the preacher man?
some are true some do lie
what's the mission of the preacher man
yeah! yeah! yeah!
a threat of justice the lazy judge
the governess teaches his son to scream
adopted child true path to trudge
no minor plot to undermine his dream

King's X - Mission
posted by suebiedoobie @ 7:33 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At Friday, July 28, 2006 8:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Much the same with me. Husband and I had a very strong relationship with God for many years (and at least the formative years bringing up our children). Unfortunately, we helped install a great friend that moved back to our childhood hometown and needed a church. Our church eventually hired him and that's when shit hit the fan with us, our friendship, our identity with the church. We haven't been back since and preacher man knows why but does not want to address it.

    My religion now rests in my heart and soul, not in brick and mortar.

    A born-again friend also pulled the same crap your friend did. Making us feel that if we did not believe exactly what she did, we would not take our place in heaven. We have let that friendship slide.

    You, once again, said it so well! Happy Friday!

     
  • At Friday, July 28, 2006 9:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, the only reason I am responding is because your blog was in the form of a question.

    First of all, let me say, that thanks to this guy your husband works with we "born againers" get a bad rap. So much so that I do not call myself a "born againer"! You are right that it is about faith, but my question to you is why believe in anything at all. If God is just something we kind of make up to make ourselves feel better, I say lets not do it! It usually involves, in most "religions" some kind of guilt thing anyway. Its just interesting to me that we makeup our own Gods in this culture as kind of a hobby. Either there is a God or there is not a God. If there is a God, He/She is whatever He or She is - we don't get to pick out what parts we like and what parts we don't. God is God, supreme being, ruler of the universe etc or doesn't exist at all. If there is only one true God and He (just using he cause thats what I'm really used to) is real then it really does behoove us to know what He is like. I believe through study and prayer and out of searching that there is one God, the God of the bible. Every other religion out there says that you have to do this and that ritual, live a perfect life etc. in order to achieve heaven, higher plane better karma, etc. all things that you have to work to be and can never do. Lets face it no one is perfect. I find it interesting that so many christians come off so arrogantly also. I do know what you are saying because basically all christians are known for is the stuff we don't do! And what we are against which is so sad, but thats the way so many of us act! So against God! If you are a true born again christian you believe that because we are sinners Jesus came to earth, died on a cross and rose on the 3rd day to take away the penalty of our sins. Something we cannot do ourselves. All we are to do is believe this. Know we are sinners and believe in what he did for us. There should never be arrogance involved here! But I know so often there is! We humans screw things up so often! If this person at your husbands work were truly walking in a daily relationship with God, your husband would be asking Him about whats different about Him and WANT to know this God because he would see God shinning through this person. You don't have to go around shouting "repent for the kingdom of God is at hand" and throwing tracks in peoples faces and frowning whenever someone curses or music plays with "the evil beat". I am going on kind of long here, all I ask is that you truly think about this God thing, either let the whole silly thing go all together or just in case it might be true, cause it either is or isn't search it out for yourself. Don't let some well meaning but ignorant person keep you from whats true. I hope there wasn't any offence to you in anything I wrote, truly not my goal. By the way, I loved your quotes, you seem like someone with a great sense of humor! If you want to discuss this more, I am willing, if not thats fine also, I will continue to check out your web page, very good stuff! My e-mail is ba2ki@hotmail.com and my name is donna. I am on this weight loss journey also, so if nothing else we have that in common!

    donna

     
  • At Friday, July 28, 2006 10:44:00 AM, Blogger suebiedoobie said…

    well, I just believe that faith is a personal thing and nobody should dictate to you what that is or it is not. I don't believe that "believing" must be done in a certain building with a certain person telling you what it's all about. It's either in your heart or it is not.

    When I say I'm not religious I mean that I'm not sure that I believe in the bible or what it's about. I don't believe that in order to achieve heaven that we have to constantly be on a quest to find it. We'll all know in the end. We're not meant to know these things otherwise we would.

    I believe if you have a good heart, you don't screw people over, and you do unto others as if they were you then all is good. I just don't believe that there is a certain list of rules that we must live by. There's way too much grey area.

     
  • At Friday, July 28, 2006 10:47:00 AM, Blogger suebiedoobie said…

    oh, and by the way, this isn't somebody he works with - in a way he does but it's not like he's on the job with this guy every day. He does have a business type relationship with him tho.

    I know that doesn't make sense, but I really don't want to point fingers or name the person.

     
  • At Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
    »

     
  • At Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
    »

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Six Foot Model - Too Young

This is my Brain on the Web...Where are the Damned Comments People?
About Me

Name: suebiedoobie
Home: Illinois, United States
About Me: I'm married with dog. Kids freak me out.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox


It's ALMOST SPRING!!!

Links
Slideshow Time!

Free Blogger Templates